Attack of the Killer Tomatoes!!!!


I thought it was the largest tomato I'd ever grown, but it turns out that this year's monster tomato (850g) is a few grams short of the one that grew on my balcony in 2008 (914g).

Perhaps, if I'd had the time to let it ripen on the vine, the tomato would have gained more weight. Unfortunately, a risk of frost was announced for this morning, so I picked all my left-over tomatoes yesterday. Under the rain. I was a little miffed when I opened the curtain this morning and saw that there as nary a speck of frost on the ground...

I haven't yet made up my mind as to whether I will let the bushel of green tomatoes ripen on the windowsill, or if I will be making endless batches of green tomato ketchup...

Mmmm... Ketchup.

Ketchup sounds really good right now. I get a Homer Simpson/ Pavlov's dog reaction when I think about ketchup. It's the sweet-tart, spicy goodness that livens up just about everything it smothers. When I was much much younger, red was my absolute favourite-est colour. I vividly recall that I had a deep-seated desire to have a scarlet wardrobe -and pink was not acceptable! My love of red was such that even my food had to be red: rare steak; very-pink-bordering-on-raw lamb; the ripest, reddest tomatoes; and ketchup on everything that was not red. In fact, non-red foods were mere medium to convey red ketchup to my mouth!

Luckily for me, my tastes and colour-favouritism have evolved over time.

Green tomato ketchup. I will mull over the idea, while I ready myself for a marathon session of Thanksgiving cooking.

If I don't sign in again this week-end!
Happy Thanksgiving Canada!
Happy Birthday John (wherever you are)! Peace out! 
And bon app'!



Comments

Popular Posts