Getting ready for the windfall

I don't know about you, but as much as I like the idea of freezing stuff in ice cube trays, storing the ice cubes in freezer bags never really worked out for me. I only have the one freezer on top of my fridge, and whenever it goes into defrost mode, anything in a bag tends to fuse into one big mass, thus annihilating all the work I put into making single portions. So I was ecstatic when I saw these individual cubes at the pharmacy.

They're marketed as 'Pesto Cubes' or 'Baby Cubes', and I found them in the baby section at the pharmacy. Made of number 2 plastic (therefore relatively safe and BPA-free), these individual containers allow you to freeze usable portions of puréed herbs or homemade baby food and store them on stackable trays in the freezer.

I have four of them in my freezer right now, and they are great! I think I might actually have enough basil paste to last me all winter.

Easy Herb Pesto
1 bunch soft herb, such as basil, parsley or dill
oil, either olive or a neutral oil
salt

Wash herbs, and remove all stems.
Bring a big pot of water to the boil. Blanch the herbs for about 30 seconds, or until they turn bright green.
Quickly remove herbs from pot, and dunk in an icebath or place under cold running water.
When the herbs are cooled, remove from water and squeeze dry.
Place in blender jug, add about 1 teaspoon salt and enough oil to cover. Blend until completely puréed. You might need to add more oil to keep the blades from sticking.
This purée will keep in the fridge for a week, or in the freezer for a few months. Do not leave the salt out, as it is a preservative.

Bon app'!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts